If you have used Online Marketing in your business the past few years, you will find the 2012 Internet Numbers very interesting.
I found this article about the number of Internet users, websites, email users, smart phones, tweets etc. from Pingdom.
I thought I would highlight a few numbers that really caught my attention and that would help to give you a better understanding of the Internet.
- 2.2 billion – Number of email users worldwide.
- 144 billion – Total email traffic per day worldwide.
- 61% – Share of emails that were considered non-essential.
- 4.3 billion – Number of email clients worldwide in 2012.
- 35.6% – Usage share of the most popular email client, which was Mail for iOS.
- 425 million – Number of active Gmail users globally, making it the leading email provider worldwide.
- 68.8% – Percentage of all email traffic that was spam.
- 50.76% – Percentage of all spam that was about pharmaceuticals, the top category of all spam.
- 0.22% – Share of worldwide emails that comprised some form of phishing attack.
Web pages, websites, and web hosting
- 634 million – Number of websites (December).
- 51 million – Number of websites added during the year.
- 43% – Share of the top 1 million websites that are hosted in the U.S.
- 48% – Share of the the top 100 blogs that run WordPress.
- 75% – Share of the top 10,000 websites that are served by open source software.
- 59.4 million – Number of WordPress sites around the world.
- 3.5 billion – Number of webpages run by WordPress viewed each month.
- 37 billion – Number of pageviews for Reddit.com in 2012.
- 35% – The average web page became this much larger during 2012.
- 4% – The average web page became this much slower to load during 2012.
- 191 million – Number of visitors to Google Sites, the number 1 web property in the U.S. in November.
- 2.4 billion – Number of Internet users worldwide.
- 1.1 billion – Number of Internet users in Asia.
- 519 million – Number of Internet users in Europe.
- 274 million – Number of Internet users in North America.
- 255 million – Number of Internet users in Latin America / Caribbean.
- 167 million – Number of Internet users in Africa.
- 90 million – Number of Internet users in the Middle East.
- 24.3 million – Number of Internet users in Oceania / Australia.
- 565 million – Number of Internet users in China, more than any other country in the world.
- 42.1% – Internet penetration in China.
- 85,962 – Number of monthly posts by Facebook Pages in Brazil, making it the most active country on Facebook.
- 1 billion – Number of monthly active users on Facebook, passed in October.
- 47% – Percentage of Facebook users that are female.
- 40.5 years – Average age of a Facebook user.
- 2.7 billion – Number of likes on Facebook every day.
- 24.3% – Share of the top 10,000 websites that have Facebook integration.
- 200 million – Monthly active users on Twitter, passed in December.
- 819,000+ – Number of retweets of Barack Obama’s tweet “Four more years”, the most retweets ever.
- 327,452 – Number of tweets per minute when Barack Obama was re-elected, the most ever.
- 729,571 – Number of messages per minute when the Chinese microblogging service Sina Weibo saw 2012 finish and 2013 start.
- 9.66 million – Number of tweets during the opening ceremony of the London 2012 olympics.
- 175 million – Average number of tweets sent every day throughout 2012.
- 37.3 years – Average age of a Twitter user.
- 307 – Number of tweets by the average Twitter user.
- 51 – Average number of followers per Twitter user.
- 163 billion – the number of tweets since Twitter started, passed in July.
- 123 – Number of heads of state that have a Twitter account.
- 187 million – Number of members on LinkedIn (September).
- 44.2 years – Average age of a Linkedin user.
- 135 million – Number of monthly active users on Google+.
- 5 billion – How many times per day the +1 button on Google+ is used.
- 20.8% – Usage share of HootSuite as a social media management tool among the world’s top 100 brands.
- 1.1 billion – Number of global smartphone subscribers.
- 6.7 billion – Number of mobile subscriptions.
- 5 billion – Number of mobile phone users.
- 5.3 billion – Number of mobile handsets.
- 1.3 billion – Number of smartphones in use worldwide by end of 2012.
- 465 million – Number of Android smartphones sold in 2012, a 66% market share.
- 31% – Percentage of the U.S. Internet population that used a tablet or e-reader.
- 13% – Mobile share of global Internet traffic.
- 5 billion – Number of mobile broadband subscriptions.
- 1.3 exabytes – Estimated global mobile data traffic per month in 2012.
- 59% – Share of global mobile data traffic that was video.
- 500 megabytes – Amount of monthly data traffic consumed by the average smartphone.
- 504 kbps – The average mobile network connection speed globally (all handsets).
- 1,820 kbps – The average mobile network connection speed globally (smartphones)
Based on these numbers a few predictions that can be made with certainty are:
- we will be accessing the Internet more with mobile devices
- social media will play an increasingly important role in our lives, and
- we’ll rely even more on the Internet both privately as well as professionally.
Subscribe to my RSS for more articles about online marketing, social media and mobile marketing and how to integrate that with your existing marketing plan.
Go here to start with Mobile Marketing for your business!
Go here to setup your own customised Online and Social Media Marketing Plan for your business!