When the year is coming to an end, business professionals think of their business strategies, online marketing plans and social media tactics for the next year.
I have decided to take a look at 2012 statistics from various platforms to help assess the current state of the Internet and how that would affect my strategies and online marketing plans for next year.
|Fascinating Social Media Stats and Demographics||Source|
|30%||Of the world’s entire population is online, and social networking is the most popular and time consuming online activity. That means 250 million tweets and 800 million Facebook status updates are now published every single day.||Mindjumpers|
|50%||Social media users are between 25-40 years old.||Pingdom Jeff Bullas HubSpot|
|55%||Of Twitter’s 165 million users are 35 years and older and half access Twitter on mobile devices at least occasionally.|
|65%||Of 1 Billion Facebook users are 35 years and older. Half of all Facebook users use it on mobile devices, at least occasionally.|
|79%||Of 175 million LinkedIn users are 35 years and older|
|67%||Of 400 million Google+ users are male and 625,000 new users are added each day.||Jeff Bullas|
|60%||Twitter and Facebook users are women||Pingdom|
|50%||LinkedIn users split between men and women|
|90%||Pinterest users are women|
|60%||Of people who use three or more digital means of research for product purchases learned about a specific brand or retailer from a social networking site. 48% of these consumers responded to a retailer’s offer posted on Facebook or Twitter||MediaPost|
|90%||Companies with 100 or more employees use social media in their marketing mix||eMarketer|
|83%||Companies with 100 or more employees use Facebook|
|53%||Companies with 100 or more employees use Twitter|
|80%||Social media and blogs reach all US Internet users||Business2-Community|
|91%||Experienced social marketers see improved website traffic due to social media|
|158 millionblogs||The very first blogs appeared in 1998 and by 2006 there were more than 50 million blogs in existence.Today, there are more than 158 million blogs though only about 70 million are active.The two most popular blogging platforms are WordPress (used for 43% of all blogs) and Blogger (35%).||HubSpot Spin Sucks New Media Expo Blog|
These statistics are indicating a number of trends. Let’s analyse some of it:
- Women seem to be more active overall, although men dominate technical sites like Slashdot.
- The demographics clearly show that social media is popular not only with the younger generation but especially among mature adults and the popularity of Facebook and LinkedIn is definitely growing .
- Pinterest is a winner under the female population.
- Looking at the trends of social media adoption among companies with > 100 employees, smaller companies with <100 employees should take note and follow suit. It’s a well-known fact that social media equals the playing field and improve competitiveness for smaller players in the market.
- If your target market is mostly women, you should have Facebook and Pinterest as part of your marketing mix.
- Social media influences consumers’ buying decisions.
- Blogging should be right there in the centre of all the action, as all the social media activities could bring visitors and existing customers back to your blog which is Internet real estate owned by you.
- Your website/blog should be mobile friendly especially when attracting social media visitors on mobiles back to your blog. There’s nothing more frustrating than wanting more information, but not being able to read properly because the site is not optimised for mobile.
In conclusion, the trends are showing an increase in the use of social media. Therefore this is not optional; social media marketing should be part of your Online Marketing Plan for 2013!
If you’re actively planning for Marketing with Social Media, please contact me for a Consultation on customising an Online Marketing Solution for your business at:
Our consulting services include a Website and Needs analysis, Online Marketing Strategy Planning and Implementation, Project Management and ongoing Reporting to ensure sustainable returns on your online investment.